Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Cafe Chocolate



Cafe Chocolat´
by Louise Bergmann DuMont

As I clutched my iced coffee, I peered into the display case at Café Chocolat´ and swallowed hard. Only my pride kept me from pressing my nose against the glass. The shelves were lined with dozens and dozens of the most decadent chocolate confections imaginable. Éclairs draped in their shinny chocolate coats and milk-chocolate mousse-filled cream puffs dusted with cocoa powder smiled at me. Enticingly strange were pyramid-like confections of chocolate mousse served on clouds of whipped cream. These stood in rows like a little soldiers awaiting their orders. Miniature raspberry tarts with white chocolate crusts and cakes that boasted names like Blackout Blizzard and Chocolate-Peanut Heaven bore their share of the acclaim.
But what finally seized my attention were the tiny individual cakes. One held a small placard with the name “White Carnation”. This dense, flourless, chocolate cake was covered in bittersweet chocolate ganache with a feathery white chocolate carnation festooning its cap. It looked deceptively simple – but my heart told me that breaking into this delight would reveal its wondrous complexity.
Like a child, I simply pointed to my desire and the clerk retrieved it. His eyes told me what I already I knew – this was the dessert of a lifetime. I sat at my little cafe stool awaiting the arrival of my treat like a queen awaits her coronation crown.
That morsel satisfied the depth of my culinary soul. I took great pleasure in each forkful and managed to savor even those crumbs that strove to elude my capture.
Oh God, that I would so eagerly await and passionately relish each portion of your precious Word.

Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart; for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts.
Jeremiah 15:16

How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. Psalm 119:103-104

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home