Monday, September 17, 2007

Free Coffee



FREE COFFEE
by Louise Bergmann DuMont


A bright orange placard boldly announced its offer from the entry of the pastry shop -- FREE COFFEE!

My friend, who loves coffee nearly as much as I do, froze in front of the sign with unpleasant smirk.

“Sure... they give you a free coffee but it probably tastes like yesterday’s dishwater.”

“My, aren’t we cynical?” I asked smiling. “You didn’t complain when the department store was doing free make-overs or when the grocery store handed out free samples of cold cuts.”

Marilyn did not return my smile. “That’s different. In those cases you were supposed to try a product so you could decide whether or not to buy it. The coffee shop is giving away coffee – no strings attached. That can’t be good.”

“But it might be great coffee! Maybe the shop is just saying ‘thanks for coming into our store.’”

My friend shrugged her shoulders and when she spoke there was no conviction in her voice. “Maybe, but I doubt it,” she said.

For a moment we stared at the sign, unable to stay or go. Finally I offered my comments.

“I think society is way too eager to trash a thing just because its free. Remember that old saying, ‘The best things in life are free.”

My friend’s hand flew out as if she were brushing away an annoying fly.

“I’m sure you’ve heard another old saying, ‘There’s no free ride.’ If the coffee is actually good, I’ll bet there are strings attached to this deal.” Her gaze moved down the street and she pointed in the same direction, “Let’s go to that other café.”

I made no move to walk away. “One of my friends at work had a yard sale last week. They put out a huge box of things that they felt were decent items, but not things that everyone needed, and attached a sign that read, ‘FREE – Help Yourself.’ Noon came and went and no one even looked in the box. His wife suggested they change the sign to read “Your Choice - 25¢.” The next two people who came to the sale looked through the box and both made an offer on the lot of it. They ended up splitting the contents and were happy as clams that they got a bargain.”

“So you’re saying that the things they bought were actually worth something, but somehow it didn’t seem that way until they had to pay for it?”

“That’s exactly what I’m saying. I know that a lot of people have trouble with salvation because it’s a free gift to us from God. They don’t realize its real value, simply because they aren’t the ones who have to pay for it. But that doesn’t make it any less valuable. The Father paid a high price for our salvation when he offered up the life of His Son. Even though we don’t pay for it, we are the ones who benefit from God’s love.”

“I see your point. Maybe this storeowner uses the best coffee beans in town and he’s being generous to his customers.”

My friend and I decided to give the free coffee a try. Turns out I was right – the coffee was EXCELLENT!!!

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift … of life.
Rev 22:11

1 Comments:

At 9/29/2007 11:02 AM, Blogger Author Scott Appleton said...

This was a very entertaining story, Louise! I enjoyed it.

It is true that some of the best things in life are free, and our culture has trained itself to automatically reject anything free, suspecting it is not what it appears.

Is not the greatest gift ever offered to mankind free? The gift of God's Son, the gift of salvation? Yes... it's free!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home