Thursday, March 29, 2007

Resolutions


Resolutions
by Louise Bergmann DuMont

It is hard to believe but by the second week in January many individuals already broke the resolutions they made on New Year’s Eve. At one point I stopped making resolutions because the pain of their quick and ready destruction was more than I wanted to think about. The whole situation made me re-evaluate the resolutions I was making and try to discover why I could not keep them.

Here is what I learned
.
When my goal is self centered (even if the goal is a good thing) the results are often temporary.
I can’t begin to recall how many times I started a diet on New Year’s Day. I know I need to lose a few pounds (and this is a good goal) but when the diet is only about how I look or how well I’ll fit into the latest fashions, my steam for the project quickly fades. I once made a resolution to give away one personal item every week. I felt this would help me get rid of material things and simplify my life. The problem was that it didn’t change my heart. I ended up buying things I didn’t really want just so I could give them away without getting rid of other things I wanted to keep. My materialistic tendencies continued until I was willing to let God change my heart.

When my goals are not in line with God’s goals for my life, every task will be a burden.
I’ve started a thousand projects that ended with less than satisfactory results. I love music but as the saying goes, “I can’t even carry a tune in a bucket.” Trying to learn an instrument was painful for me – and for my patient instructor. I tried one instrument after another, hoping to find something that would allow me to participate in my husband’s musical world. But every musician needs an audience. Once I relinquished my selfish desire to be a part of the band and choir, I was able focus on things for which God amply supplied me with the tools. Teaching writing, public speaking, directing events – all things bless others even as they bless me. When you use the gifts you are given, the tasks set before you are a pleasure.

When my goal is not in line with God’s will, even if I achieve the goal, I won’t be content.
Have you ever attained a long awaited goal only to find yourself unfulfilled? I remember a girlfriend who was still single after everyone else in our crowd got married. That year, she made a New Year’s resolution that she would be married before year-end. This woman threw herself into singles cruises, speed dating and bar hopping. True to her word, she was engaged by June and married by December – but he left her less than a year later. The cost of achieving that goal was unacceptable.

Goals and resolutions are in and of themselves not bad things. They key is to change in ways that lead us to be more Christ-like in personality and in our lifestyle.

This year my New Year’s resolution is simple. I want to hear what God has to say before I make decisions that affect me and my family. Moving in the direction God leads, assures me of success. He always provides me with the tools, the strength and any assistance I need to get His job done. When I know in advance that my resolution will not be in vain, my journey can be adventurous but it will never be overwhelming.

“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
Romans 12:2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home