Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Moving a Mountain


Moving A Mountain – One Molehill at a Time
by Louise Bergmann DuMont

You see it everywhere – in book titles, bumper stickers, and billboards. The media tells us that we are too important to concern ourselves with “the small stuff” of life. I disagree. God never called me to move a mountain at a moment’s notice, but He has asked me to move a number of mountains – one molehill at a time.

Consider the seemingly insignificant task of setting out table favors. On the first Saturday of each month, my husband and I run a senior citizen program called The King’s Kitchen. We provide some form of enrichment or entertainment for our guests and serve lunch to about fifty seniors. Every guest receives a favor – a small token of our appreciation for participating. In the spring we may offer miniature baskets with one brightly colored Easter egg in each, last winter we made three tiered marshmallow snowman with pretzel arms and a licorice smile, and this fall we gave small bags of candy corn decorated with cheerful yellow and orange ribbon. The treats aren’t gourmet fare or great works of art but they do add a festive touch to the tables.

One Saturday, as I was clearing away the remains of lunch, Mary came up to me and asked if we had any extra favors. I placed in her hands three that I’d salvaged and was surprised when she wrapped her frail arms around me in a grateful hug.

“I’m glad you like them, Mary,” I said smiling, “but they really aren’t all that much.”

“Oh yes they are.” she replied, a grin spreading from one ear to the other as she hugged me once again.

Curious that such a small thing would make her so very happy, I asked her what she was going to do with them.

“Your favors are my witnesses”, she said.

“Witnesses?”

“Yes. When I get back to the nursing home, the first thing I do is pray. As God sends people to my room, I give them one of your favors. They always ask where I got it. That gives me a chance to tell them about The King’s Kitchen and about my faith.” Excitement grew on Mary’s face as she continued. “One particular nurse always made sure to visit. Last month I led her to the Lord and now she comes in a few times each week after her shift to read the Bible with me! I have two other nurses interested now.”

After things were cleared away I grabbed a mug of coffee and reflected on our conversation. Some Christians feel they can’t move mountains – or witness to an entire nursing staff. But Mary didn’t see her task as a mountain. All she saw was a pile of molehills. I don’t know what God has in store for Mary next, but she certainly proved to me that nothing is too small for God to use in a pair of willing hands.

"'Well done!” the king exclaimed. “You are a trustworthy servant. You have been faithful with the little I entrusted to you, so you will be governor of ten cities as your reward.”
Luke 19:17 (NLT)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home