Monday, September 17, 2007

Searching



Searching
by Louise Bergmann DuMont

Soup cans, pasta boxes, granola bars and water bottles lay scattered about our kitchen like wounded soldiers after a battle. With one hand on my hip and my foot tapping a frustrated beat, I stared at the now empty shelves of my pantry.

“Where could it be?” I faced the bare walls with a wrinkled brow.

“What are you looking for?” my husband asked as he came into the room.

“That bag of gourmet coffee beans we bought a few days ago. I know we didn’t use them.”

John leaned over and rummaged through a stack of items in front of the dishwasher. From under the macaroni and cheese he pulled a can of store brand coffee.

I wrinkled my nose.

“That is definitely not it.”

“I know, but it looks like this is all we’ve got.” John put the can down next to the coffee maker and walked away.

I looked at the mess and allowed my gaze to drift out the window. The sun had risen to an azure sky, a small wren chipped to his friend in our cedar tree, and a squirrel ran madly about gathering who-knows-what. For just a moment, I imagined giving up the search for my special coffee. I could easily settle for a pot of canned coffee and spend my Saturday puttering in the backyard.

An unwanted sigh escaped my lips as I began placing items back on the pantry shelves. How could I settle for something of lesser quality, when the best was somewhere within my reach? It took about a half hour to restore my pantry to its former self. Then my thoughts returned to the task at hand.

OK, girl – think! Where did you put that coffee???

I opened each cabinet in my kitchen and poked through its contents – eventually arriving at our appliance cupboard. I no sooner opened the door when I saw the coffee bag.

Of course! I put the beans next to the coffee grinder!

The bean’s russet wrapper welcomed me into its presence like summer sunshine. I pulled the coffee and the grinder from the shelf and had a pot of rich brown liquid brewing on my counter within minutes. Its scent drew my husband right to the kitchen.

“Wow. That smells great. I guess you found the gourmet beans.”

“Yes I did – but only because I kept looking.”

A grin grew on John’s face as he filled a large mug with the fragrant brew. “Well, I guess it’s a good thing for both of us that you didn’t give up.”

Some things in life are worth pursuing. Good coffee ranks high on my list. A trust worthy friend is another significant quest. But at the very top of my list, is my search for God’s will. When I’m walking with God, I know He’ll stand by me no matter what circumstances come my way.

The Spirit of God came upon Azariah son of Oded. He went out to meet Asa and said to him, "Listen to me, Asa and all Judah and Benjamin. The Lord is with you when you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you. For a long time Israel was without the true God, without a priest to teach and without the law. But in their distress they turned to the Lord, the God of Israel, and sought him, and he was found by them.”
II Chronicles 15:1-5a

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home