Thursday, March 29, 2007

March Snows

March Snows
by Louise Bergmann DuMont


The white foam on the latte tickled my lip as I sipped at the beverage hiding beneath it. It was past midnight and I sat in a silent dark house, watching the snow fall outside our picture window. As the particularly large and lacy flakes descended, I pictured millions of grandmother-like angles crocheting doilies and tossing them to earth for our pleasure.

I love winter and I especially love snow. While most people revel in summer’s heat, I run from it. Summer makes me lazy and uncomfortable. Winter’s brisk winds invigorate me. Snow awakens my senses and refreshes my spirit. It makes me smile.

The foam on my latte was gone and I could feel a frown begin to form at the corners of my mouth. Muddy brown liquid sat where creamy white peaks, begging for a sprinkle of cinnamon, once stood. My gaze turned back to the window.

The sky had cleared and a full moon hung bright above the new fallen snow. The ground glistened and I found myself leaning forward to inspect the new vista more carefully. It was as if God had ground diamonds in the palm of his hand, before gently blowing the dust down to earth where it covered all living things. Bushes were frosted with the diamond studded snow like awkwardly iced cupcakes. The ground showed no driveways, no roads, no trace of human workmanship.

Snow is God’s great equalizer. Hordes of kids play football on my lawn each summer and it has taken its toll. Our neighbor’s lawn is carefully manicured, while dandelions, patches of dirt and crabgrass rule our lot each summer. But tonight, as moonlight streams over my yard, I can’t see any of that. It seems that both the unsightly and the beautiful can be treated to God’s blanket of white diamonds.


"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.
Isaiah 1:18

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home